This past week I’ve been going through RA (Resident Assistant) training for one
of the first-year residence halls at my university. When I got the job back in the
spring I wasn’t really worried about it—it seemed easy enough. Once I was back
on campus and learning about all of my responsibilities, however, I started to
freak out a bit. Fortunately, as we’ve been going through training I’ve been
feeling more and more confident in my ability to do my job, and after training
is finished next week hopefully all of my worries will be gone from my mind.
My days have been going something like this:
Wake up really early.
Shovel down free breakfast.
Get through morning training lecture.
Shovel down free lunch.
Get through “team time” with my fellow RAs in the building.
Feel guilty about earlier shoveling and eat a small or
non-existent dinner.
Suddenly get a bunch of energy.
Go out with my friends until 1am or so.
Get home and pass out.
Repeat.
Also, as a side note I’ve been reading a super-nerdy book,
and in light of hurricane Irene attacking the east coast I wanted to say that
when I read this quote:
“In the wake of Hurricane Katrina, which destroyed much of
New Orleans in late August of 2005, scientists have suggested that hurricanes
might really be controlled, or even dissipated, by bombarding them with
microwaves from space.” Parsons, Paul. The Science of Doctor Who.
Baltimore, MD: Johns Hopkins UP, 2010. 223-224. Print.
I thought this:









